Thursday, March 7, 2013

Changing the lives of kids, one bike at a time!

I wouldn't be taking on the Tour Divide if it wasn't for my outdoor experiences as a kid. Taking off down the driveway on my bike with no real destination in sight.  The feeling of freedom was overwhelming and continues to be today. Of course I'm a little more focused on a destination this time; Antenlope Wells, New Mexico.  But I'm relying on the same yearning for adventure and freedom I had as a kid.

These kids look like they're having a good time!

Trips For Kids WNC is an amazing organization based out of Asheville, North Carolina that focuses on getting kids outdoors and on bikes! They have mountain bike outings for kids, a bike "thrift store" where they have a variety of bikes, parts and other accessories, and programs where kids can earn bikes.

Visit their website at www.tripsforkidswnc.com



All this is organized by local bike advocate and community supporter, Stephen Janes. I have yet to meet Stephen in person but can't wait for the opportunity to share ideas about my fundraising and the Tour Divide. Stephen told me he would also like to race the Tour Divide and with his track record, I have no doubts he will accomplish his goal.

Stephen Janes talks with the kids about bike safety.
When I decided to use the Tour Divide race to raise money for an organization, there was no question which one I was going to pick.  I had heard about Trips for Kids WNC before and it always made me think of how important my bike was to me when I was younger.  It was my transportation and the path to my adventures and experiences. I think it's important that kids have the opportunity to experience adventure by bike and that's exactly what Trips for Kids WNC does.

If you would like to donate to my fundraising efforts please visit the fundraising page here. I really appreciate your support in helping Trips for Kids WNC and hope that you will follow along as I race the Tour Divide.

Images courtesy of Trips for Kids WNC

No comments:

Post a Comment